Welcome to OUR FIRST POETRY MIXTAPE.
Hello! My name is Tyler Tsay, and I am the Program Director of The Speakeasy Project. I'm glad you're here, and hope you're ready for some poetry.
In celebration of National Poetry Writing Month, I wanted to put together a list of some of my favorite poets & poems for your enjoyment! These are in no particular order, and in no particular sequence. I had a lot of fun pairing these poets together, across timelines, topics, styles, etc. Hope you have fun reading them, too :)
I'll be releasing three (3) more of these mixtapes throughout April. If you think I'm missing some writers, please message me at email@example.com with suggestions for the next one. For now, read, read & read again!
And be sure to explore more work by these artists outside the poem I've selected from each.
Stay tuned for more.
- River by Frank O'Hara
- I'm Not a Racist by Cortney Lamar Charleston
- everywhere and here too by Vievee Francis
- Fairy Tale by sam sax
- HOW TO BECOME THE MOON by Jake Skeets
- cusp by Lydia Havens
- Go Forget Your Father by Cathy Linh Che
- from Deaf Republic: 10 by Ilya Kaminsky
- The House by Warsan Shire
- Lanat Abad / The Place of the Damned by Solmaz Sharif
- Last Night I Dreamed I Made Myself by Paige Lewis
- I'm not a religious person but by Chen Chen
- Poem with a Rat in It by Duy Doan
- A one ended boomerang by Samuel Wagan Watson
- Sometimes in a Moment of Déjà Vu by Joshua Jennifer Espinoza
- No is a complete sentence by Kaveh Akbar
- Tonight I Can Write the Saddest Lines... by Pablo Neruda
- Notes on Staying by Hieu Minh Nguyen
- Arise, Go Down by Li-Young Lee
- Hunger Drives the Body Into Imagination by Jess X Chen
- On Hunger by Hanif Willis-Abdurraqib
- Elegy by Erin O'Malley
- It Was the Animals by Natalie Diaz
- What the Body Remembers by Julian David Randall
- Social Work by Jeannine Hennawi
- Carnivore in Love by Kathryn Hargett
- The Ballad of Lily Magnolia by Nancy Huang
- Tell Me Something Good by Ocean Vuong
- not an elegy for Mike Brown by Danez Smith
- Ode to Voicemail by Angel Nafis
- Good Bones by Maggie Smith
- Love by Czeslaw Milosz